November is coming to an end and we are fast approaching December (how did the last month fly by so fast?!) The weather has been getting a lot frostier by the day and I find myself eating far fewer salads and craving foods that are more substantial and comforting. I find it sensible to eat with the seasons and, during the colder months, I switch to a diet of warming foods to keep my digestion in top-notch condition and my body happy and healthy.
With this in mind, I would like to introduce to you my really effortless One-Pan Chicken which is sauteed in a lusciously creamy, dairy-free garlicky mushroom sauce. The chicken is first cooked with onions, garlic and mushrooms in a little olive oil and then I add my secret ingredient to get that creamy sauce and that is…coconut cream! The coconut cream adds a really lovely, silky smoothness to the sauce sans the dairy, which makes it a perfect dish for people who cannot tolerate it or are allergic to it. Adding oregano creates that perfect flavour combination with the mushrooms and the garlic, which is so reminiscent of creamy sauces that are so typical for the French cuisine (although other herbs such as dill or thyme would be lovely too). The final addition of full-fat mustard adds a slight punch and a little more creaminess to the sauce. For those of you who don’t really like the taste of coconut, I promise you, you cannot feel its taste in this dish. But I do promise you this: that you will love it and will want to make it again and again! This dish makes such a simple yet elegant meal and I am confident that it would completely please and satisfy your guests or that special someone you’ve been wanting to invite for a home-cooked meal.
I serve this dish over a bed of rice or baked herbed potatoes. If you want to go the extra mile, I suggest you make some gluten-free gnocchi to stir through the sauce for a mind-blowing food experience!
You have to make this dish because it is:
– a delicious meal that requires only 15 minutes of preparation
– is very budget friendly and uses only basic ingredients
– is light and easy to digest because it is gluten-free and dairy-free
- 4 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 8 medium mushrooms of choice (button, portobello or any other)
- 1 large onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of full fat mustard
- 1/2 can (200 ml) of full fat coconut cream
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- Remove the skin from the chicken leg quarters and give them a rinse. Remove any visible fat with a sharp knife and cut the chicken leg quarters into drumsticks and thighs. Set aside.
- Slice the onion into thin slices. Slice the mushrooms and the garlic.
- Put a medium sized pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil and the onions and fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion starts turning a little golden. Add the mushrooms and the garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes. The mushrooms will release a little liquid, that is fine.
- Add in the chicken. Fry for 5 minutes, then turn the meat to the other side to make it get a little colour. Finally, add in the coconut milk, the mustard, the oregano, the salt and the pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. Move the chicken pieces around the pan to cover them in the sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with a simple salad, over rice, herbed baked potatoes or stir some cooked gluten-free gnocchi into the sauce.